Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jaundiced Days

2nd September 2007
This picture really looks quite scary...


3rd September 2007


We all checked out of the hospital on 31st Aug07. Mr PD, Dr. Keoy, told Mama that I had slight jaundice of level 12. My thyroid hormones were abit on the high side cos Mama has hyperthyroidism.

As you can tell from my photos, my eyes were closed most of the time. In fact, the days I was in the hospital, only my left eye opened slightly and my right never opened. That got Grandma quite worried. So when we were checking out, she asked the nurse if there was something wrong with my right eye. The nurse said there was nothing wrong. And she just used her fingers to pry my right eye open! Much to Grandma's shock! The look was priceless. hehe... :) Well, until today, my right eye is obviously smaller than my left eye. Just one of my unique facial features :).

Papa went to Taiwan to work on an MTV project with Uncle Donald on the day we checked out of the hospital. So, Grandpa drove us home. But his car went bonkers and we drove home very slowly, with no air-con at noon time! You can imagine how hot it was...

I was quite a sleepy girl cos of jaundice. And I was really becoming very yellow. My whole body was yellow! Por Por was feeling very uneasy so we went to visit the PD on the Sunday even though our appointment was on Tuesday. He didn't look worried at all so we thought all was fine. But by Tuesday, things don't seem right. So, even though he re-arranged to see us on Friday, we went on Tuesday again. Well, it was serious enough for me to be hospitalized for 2 nights! The level has gone up to 22!

It was quite a terrible day for Mama. First of all, it was heart-wrenching for her when the nurse bent my wrist several times and took 2 vials of blood from the top of my hand. I was of course crying. Mama cried too. Thankfully it was Grandma who carried me. It was a hard decision for Mama to leave me behind in the hospital alone, drinking formula milk during the times she was not around! But at least she got 2 good nights' rest, which she never got again till today... It was also quite scary that I have to be put on 3 lights instead of the other babies who only needed 2 lights.

According to the nurses who took care of us, I was a very good baby. I hardly fussed and was generally a happy and contented baby. There must be angels who took care of me while Mama was away.

Night times were special for Mama and myself. When all was dark and everyone asleep except us cos I had to drink milk, Mama would sing songs to me and we would pray to God. We asked God to give Mama more milk and to keep Papa safe in Taiwan.