Thursday, May 22, 2008

28th - 31st August 2007

28th August 2007



30th August 2007


Everyone said I was pretty :). Lots of black hair, fair and a tiny little mouth. Look like a china doll. Like all babies, have red spots all over the face like pimples. Mama thought that the nurses put gel to comb my hair cos of how neat it was. But later at home, she realized that it fell the way it did without combing! Grandaunty Lily said that God was the hairdresser. He made my hair so special. :)

Mama, Papa and Por Por were waiting anxiously for me in the ward but I didn't come to the room until about 3 or 4 hours after the operation! In the mean time, Mama was shivering a long time due to the after effects of the epidural. And feeling very hungry. She couldn't eat till later that night, And it was just a small pot of Milo!

On hindsight, Mama said to include in the next birth plan that they must bring the baby to her latest in 2 hours time to start the breastfeeding. Maybe that's why Mama's milk (or even colostrum) did not come till the 4th day! And they did not bring me to Mama often enough to suckle. Should be every 2 to 3 hours, even if I was sleeping. And to think these nurses are supposed to be pro-breastfeeding...

It was a weird, frightening experience for Mama to breastfeed me as this was her first time. Although there was no milk, I was sucking alot. I had to tell Mama's brain to start producing milk. It was ok not to have milk the first 3 days as there was food store in my body. So on the 3rd night, I suckled for almost 2 hours! Mama said I was a good and hardworking baby. She kept praying to have milk for me. The lactation consultant reminded Mama to be relaxed. Can't produce milk if stressed. And one nurse said if you believe you have milk, you will have milk.

All in all, Mama really liked giving birth at TMC. She liked the Milo. But she also learnt some valuable lessons which hopefully will be useful for the next pregnancy. Must include in the birth plan to let her breastfeed earlier, even if she's sleeping. And to go and get the baby to breastfeed more often, instead of waiting in the room for them to bring her.