Friday, May 23, 2008

Breastfeeding and Jaundice Continues

6th September 2007

9th September 2007




11th September 2007

I continued to have jaundice which kept my grandparents and parents worried. I had to go to the polyclinic every few days to have the heel prick test to monitor the bilirubin level. And of course polyclinic is cheaper and they have the lab on site, which makes it very convenient.

There was one night which Mama herself was scared, thinking I really looked yellow. So, Papa drove us to KK Hospital Emergency Clinic to check it out. It cost $70! While it was high, it was on a downward trend. So, the young doctor reassured Mama I was ok. He was more worried about my umbilical cord wound getting an infection. He adviced Mama that there is no need to give me water (despite what Grandaunty Sue and many old people advised) to get rid of the jaundice. Breastmilk is made up of 87% water, esp in the beginning part. It was more important to breastfeed me more often cos water could fill up my small stomach without the essential nutrients I need from the milk.

It took about 1 month or more for the jaundice to totally go away. Once the level was below 100 (a newer and different measurement method from TMC), there was no need to go back to the polyclinic. Por Por or Mama would try to expose me to the early morning (before 10am) sunlight. To protect my eyes, they covered my eyes with the cover which Mama bought from TMC. Mama found the easiest way to "sun" me is to breastfeed me at the same time so I won't fuss so much. It's not comfortable to expose my naked body (except my diapers) you know...

As for breastfeeding, Mama faced a few problems. Her left nipple bled. I drank some of the blood... She called the TMC helpline and found that it was ok for me to continue breastfeeding. Even though it was very painful, Mama persevered to feed from that breast to keep up the supply. There were also little bubbles that formed on both nipples. I think it's blocked ducts. Super painful too but thank God she persevered. She tried warm compress and feed me from different positions and apply Lansinoh and breastmilk. Nothing seemed to give immediate relief. She just waited for them to burst and let them heal. Then it was much better.

No comments: